Sunday, November 15, 2009

Quick howto: 32bit Firefox 2 within 64bit openSUSE 11.1

openSUSE 11.1

I am currently in the process of creating myself my very own openSUSE distribution using the excellent SUSE Studio.

As I've written previously, I am still using the old Firefox 2, which allows me to integrate with the KDE's excellent kprinter, something that was killed in the Firefox 3 branch.
Trying the distribution with VirtualBox I stumbled upon a problem with the Firefox 2 which I have actually seen previously. This 32bit Firefox 2 is unable to connect to any website when run from 64bit openSUSE 11.1 (probably in other versions as well).

The solution, however, is an easy one. The openSUSE is remarkably different from for example Ubuntu, as they actually include the 32bit environment out of the box in 64bit systems. This means that some 32bit versions of the various libraries are automatically installed. However, the distribution maintainers in openSUSE have, for some unknown reason, left out one of the necessary 32bit libraries: nss-mdns-32bit. Install this and the 32bit Firefox 2 works!

No comments: