Linux Mint 7 "Gloria"
One thing I've always hated about new Gnome after switching from openSuse and KDE is the focus prevention. I'm doing Flex development with Eclipse and whenever I run my application, a Firefox window is opened with the Flex compiled Flash file inside. The Compiz focus prevention, however, makes sure that the Firefox window is opened in the background. Also any and all Flash error dialogs (from the debug Flash player) appear only as the flashing taskbar button. It is ridiculous that I need to click on them to bring them forward.
Notoriously, neither Gnome nor Compiz ever mention the Focus Prevention in their setups. KDE 3.5 allowed the focus prevention settings in great detail to be modified via the KDE control center. Now, however, I've dug a bit deeper and I've found a rather simple solution to the problem.
It seems that all the hidden features are still present in Gnome and accessible via an app called gconf-editor. Just search for "prevention" in there (be sure to check the "Search also in key names" checkbox) and you should find a few matches.
Go to the key /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/focus_prevention_level and change that value to zero to turn off the focus prevention. It's that simple!
No comments:
Post a Comment